Breaking News

It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But He Likes It)


















The relationship between football and music has never been an easy one, with so many players having lousy tastes in what they listen to. For a whole generation it was Phil Collins, and most of today's players will tune in to whatever slick and worthless R'n'B tosh is in the charts at the moment. However, there are some exceptions to the rule and this one in particular might surprise you...

Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole has told how he discovered the Rolling Stones as he went through rehab from his injury earlier this year. He told Chelsea's official club magazine: "One of our physios, Denis Talbot, got me on to them because they're his favourite band. On the way to the swimming pool every day we were listening to Forty Licks in the car. I must admit I'd never listened to the Stones - I don't know why.

"My family had got me into The Beatles but I'd never sat down and listened to the Stones. But I'm glad I've found them after all this time. I had them on every day." However, he adds: "That music wouldn't last five minutes in our dressing room, mind. I'd get ribbed putting that kind of music on. The lads just don't like it - I don't understand."

Cole also credits Paul Weller with helping him get through his gruelling daily 8 hours sessions in the gym to help him recover. "I couldn't have got through all that work without music. It's a massive help to me in situations like that. And it just so happens that while I was doing all that gym work, Paul Weller's Greatest Hits album had just come out so it was perfect timing.

"I also need to thank Oasis, Arctic Monkeys and Kasbaian too. They all helped me through," he said. Cole is also a big fan of the Stereophonics and went to see the Arctic Monkeys at Bournemouth the season before last. He also revealed he sorted tickets for the Manchester City game for Oasis star Noel Gallagher and was due to meet him after the match. "Apparently, he left when the third goal [of six] went in!" said Cole.

Read the full interview in the Chelsea magazine, out now.

Source: www.4thegame.com

Click here to enter a competition to win some exclusive artwork.

No comments