Breaking News

Noel Gallagher Explains Oasis Album Title




















Noel Gallagher has revealed why he named the new Oasis album Dig Out Your Soul.

The guitarist said the name was born from the lyrics of a track Gem Archer wrote after the band failed to come up with a suitable title.

"The title is actually referring to DJing when you're putting on some Motown," Gallagher said. "The DJ digging out his soul."

He also admitted Oasis settled on the title because he "ran out of ideas".

Stick duties

"Originally it was going to be called Bag It Up and then it was going to be called Shock Of the Lightning and then it was going to be called Standing On The Edge Of The Noise," he said.

"I couldn't think of any ideas and then somebody had just taken bits of the lyrics out and Dig Out Your Soul was what came up. I was like, 'You know what? Titles become themselves'.

"Definitely Maybe isn't a great title but if the album is good enough it'll become itself. Dig Out Your Soul is not the best one but Dig Out Your Soul was the best one on a day when we had to choose one."

The Oasis guitarist also revealed that the band have experimented a lot more on the new record, with Gallagher even taking up stick duties on three of the songs.

"I was playing some drums on some demos left over from the last record.

"We sent them to (producer) Dave Sardy and he was like, 'Wow have you got any more songs like this? We should make a record like this'.

"And then going back to the stuff we ditched in the past we were like, 'Yeah we could do something with that or do something with this'.

"Slowly but surely it all started to change from a traditional British rock album to this whatever one we would describe it now.

He added: "It's got a drum solo in it, I don't know the last time there was drum solo on one of our records. I'm not really a Keith Moon drummer, I'm a Neanderthal, I'm a basher. I just stick to the backbeat."

Public spat

Despite the public spat which broke out earlier this year between the Oasis guitarist and Jay-Z over the rapper's appearance at Glastonbury, Gallagher said it was blown out of proportion and he had "nothing but respect for the rapper".

Noel: "It's ludicrous, absolutely ludicrous, Coleen McLoughlin musn't have had any scent out that week or something.

"The broadsheets just took it and ran away with it, 'How dare you say hip-hop is not allowed at Glastonbury'.

"Those people that write the newspapers, they demand that rock stars don't have a big ego but when someone makes a flippant comment and it becomes a national issue, what am I to think? "Who cares what I think?

"Well obviously everybody. Bearing that in mind can everyone go out and buy our new record when it comes out please. I'm down to my last £4 million."

Tongue lashing

Last week, Gallagher appeared on Chris Moyles' breakfast show after staying out until 6am in the morning and he took a few digs at the Kaiser Chiefs, Amy Winehouse and Scouting For Girls.

But speaking on Radio 1's Zane Lowe show, he said he had "no recollection" of what he said.

"I don't really remember a great deal about that interview to be honest," he revealed.

"I have no recollection of actually being in the studio. All I know is what I said was printed in the paper the next day.

"I kind of take my own disclaimer on that, that morning. If someone starts firing other people's band names when you've been out all night drinking Jager bombs..."

Despite his tongue lashing he praised The Coral and The Chemical Brothers and revealed that a host of other bands have remixed tracks from their forthcoming album.

He added: "We've remixes done off this album by Primal Scream, Death In Vegas' Richard Fearless and producer Jagz Kooner.

"It's all our mates and I just knew they couldn't mess it up and I knew I was going to like what they've done because I've known those people for so long and I love what they do."

Tickets for the band's arena tour went on sale this morning and sold out within four hours.

Source: www.bbc.co.uk

No comments