Breaking News

Noe Gallagher's Oldham Taunt











Oasis star Noel Gallagher has sparked a storm by claiming Oldham Athletic supporters are really Manchester City fans who `just live too far from the ground'.

The rock legend, a lifelong Blue, made the comments in an exclusive interview in this month's City magazine.

But Simon Corney, 36, one of Latics' trio of owners, has hit back in spectacular fashion by claiming that Oasis followers are in fact frustrated Beatles fans.

In a frank chat about the band's roots Noel, 41, talks about his time as a roadie with the iconic Oldham outfit Inspiral Carpets.

He says: "I think (guitarist) Graham Lambert was an Oldham fan, as most of the band was. Keyboardist Clint Boon wasn't that bothered as I recall, but I always think of Oldham fans as virtually City fans anyway.

"I don't think I've ever met an Oldham fan who didn't say, `Well, I'm really a Blue anyway, I just live too far from the ground'." That `revelation' prompted a sharp response from Mr Corney.

He said: "It's funny Noel should say that because I was speaking to an Oasis fan the other day. He told me all their fans were really Beatles fans - it's just they can't go and watch them any more for obvious reasons."

Other Latics fans were less courteous.

Anthony Williamson, 40, from Watersheddings, said: "What a load of rubbish. City? If they were playing in my back garden I'd close the curtains."

Andy Buckley, 31, from Shaw, said: "Although we only have five to six thousand turn up every week they are Oldham through and through. There are plenty of wannabe Mancunians in this town but they're not Latics fans."

But some Oldham fans had sympathy for outspoken Noel. Season ticket holder Dermot Butler, 39, from Leeds, said: "It's got to be tongue-in-cheek. I'd say most of us like to see City do well. I certainly prefer them to that red shower down the road."

Burnage-raised Noel tells the magazine about his 35-year love affair with the Blues, why former chairman Franny Lee tried to sign him and which Oasis record was penned with City in mind.

The City magazine is out now, priced £2.50

Source: www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk

No comments