Breaking News

5 Minutes With Andy Bell




















British songwriter, singer, producer, DJ and former member of the early 1990s shoegazing band, Ride, and now, Oasis speaks to Glasswerk about his recent gigs in Korea, the backlash of the Slane gig in Ireland and what the future holds for Oasis. Just don't mention Liam or Noel.

Hello Andy. How are you doing?


I'm just gonna move over here - I can hear your voice louder in the room rather than on the phone... give me a minute, ok it's fine now - I'm doing good thanks Kenny. (Andy moves about 10 feet away from me).

So where you at right now? You just finished a number of gigs in South Korea, Liam seemed they went well according to his Twitter updates.

Yeah they went really well actually (nothing elaborated on Liam's Tweet, and I further sense he would rather me not mention the 'brothers' at all. The infamous Q interview with Noel, Liam recently stating he does not know what the future holds etc, it's obvious there's something up in the Oasis camp, but let's forget about that for now).

So what's next and how is your career standing?

(Andy chuckles) Yeah we finished our tour in Korea which went really well, we've got 6 more gigs on this tour, 3 of them in the UK, 2 festivals in Europe then we're done!

My career is doing fine by the way...

How did you feel about the media backlash of the Slane show?

Tell me about it Kenny - I haven't actually heard about it. Slane was a great gig, a brilliant night for all of us.

Absolutely, I was in the pit with Paul (oldest Gallagher) & we had a blast. But for ticket buyers - MCD were blamed for bad organisation, including 3 hour queues for apparently 2 or 3 pints per person. There was trouble going on at various points, fights, reports of people being robbed, (one girl was subject to a guy both groping her as she queued for a drink, while his chum decided to use her leg as a portaloo). And it was apparently a total nightmare getting out of Slane back home. MCD were blamed in the media for overselling the gig.

Who are MCD?

They are the chief promoters who brought the band over. (If Andy doesn't know who MCD are, there's no point in bringing up the Joe Duffy show).

Ah yeah right, I haven't heard of this backlash but I understand the difficulty getting out of Slane - it took us 3 hours to get out ourselves.

It's a problem with Slane Castle - but I actually enjoyed it, I got out of the car at least 3 times and the streets were just full of Oasis fans, they were going wild, and I really enjoyed that whole thing. You know what, I wish there wasn't an aftermath but there's only 1 or 2 ways out of Slane I think... that's probably why.

So touring the world, you must be used to it by now - do you think it suits you?

I think I'm suited to it Kenny, I've been in the same position for nearly 8 years but I am comfortable - like me and Gem (Archer) both kinda do the same thing. But the band is strong and the band is good but knowing Noel & Liam...

Speaking of which, do Noel & Liam still slag you off for not being a 'northerner'?

Yeah that's all settled down now man. We're all really nice about that actually - scousers, mancs, oxfordians, geordies - we've always given each other stick for it but that's why we all love each other.

Yeah, I spent some of my time down the pit with Paul Gallagher and I got to say, he's a manc but a true gent. I was gutted when he contracted Swine Flu as he was due to DJ in Belgium with 3 of my mates. It was gonna be an Irish invasion of Belgium but he had to cancel obviously.

Yeah Paul's a wicked fella - shit hot DJ too. It's a shame what happened, I think he's on the mend thankfully.

Glasswerk would like to bring him over for a DJ set sometime, he recently sold out Eamon Dorans in a flash.

He's got an amazing record collection - he'd rock it anywhere I'm sure. Plus, he's really proud of his Irish roots - big into GAA and that kinda thing. He loves Ireland.

One more thing, is it true that Noel referred to you as like something from the Michael Jacksons Memorial, because of you being the only band member wearing shades?

Yeah Noel says a lot of shit but normally I can't answer for him but yeah, he did say that.

You know from watching from the Pit - I still believe the band has got the spark.

I'm glad to hear it Kenny as I get the spark everytime.

Andy Bell, it's been a pleasure speaking to you. I know you're a busy man, so thank you for your time.

Thank you for talking to me - thanks for listening & I'll speak to you soon mate.

I really wanted to ask about Liam's love for Noel and vice versa, but my gut was saying no - plus this was a man who formed Ride and helped bands like The Verve back in the early nineties, so to me his legacy speaks for itself and it didn't feel like I was speaking to the bass player in Oasis - I was in fact speaking to a singer, seminal songwriter, and currently a shades wearing bass guitarist with (still) one of the biggest bands in the world. But before Oasis Creation Records signed Ride, and before Britpop there was Andy Bell. That's good enough for us.

Source: www.glasswerk.co.uk

No comments