Breaking News

‘Bonehead’ On Life With The Vortex And The Demise Of Oasis















He spent eight years in Britain’s biggest band – but Paul ‘Bonehead’ Arthurs is going back to basics with his new outfit.

The former Oasis guitarist even drove the tour bus when The Vortex recently toured Europe.

“It was us against Europe,” grins the 44-year-old who quit Oasis in 1999. “We spent a couple of weeks in Germany and Holland, and it was brilliant. It was more of a feeler for the band, letting them see how it is to be in each other’s pockets 24/7 in a different land.”

Bonehead joined The Vortex full time in January after a string of guest appearances with the band.

“I got to know the bass player when I was co-presenting a radio show for BBC Manchester,” he recalls. “I went to see them play and really liked what I saw and heard.

“They asked me to play a couple of songs with them when they performed in Manchester and it became a regular thing. At the end of last year they asked me to join full time and I jumped at it.”

Bonehead’s eight years in Oasis means he has a wealth of experience to share with the younger members of The Vortex.

“I’m the old man of the band, the others are in their early 30s,” he laughs. “I’ve been giving them advice, simple things like booking a hotel for days off and getting a van. It’s always ‘leave it to Bonehead’. But I’ve added a dimension soundwise as well. It’s now more polished and bigger.”
After building up a following in Manchester and London, where they had a residency at Alan McGee’s Death Disco club, The Vortex are undertaking a UK tour.

Bonehead says that for him there’s an element of deja vu about the band whose line-up is completed by singer Mike Price, guitarist Maz Behdjet, bassist Nick Repton, backing singer Jaxx and beats man Sean O’Donnell.

“People say we’ve got a Manchester sound, whatever that is, but it was their attitude I was attracted to. It reminded me of the feeling I had in 1993 with Oasis. There’s a real gang mentality, a real passion.”

He says there is no parallel between him joining The Vortex and Noel Gallagher joining, and taking over, his band, Oasis.

“When Noel came into Oasis, me and Liam had three songs written between us. Noel came in with Live Forever, Round Our Way, Cigarettes & Alcohol and Rock & Roll Star all written. With The Vortex I walked into a band that was already armed with songs. There’s only one song in the set that’s mine.”

And his verdict on Oasis’s demise?

“I’m just sad it came to an end with a fight. I wish they could have gone out with a bow – ‘Thank you, goodnight. We were Oasis’.”

Source: www.birminghammail.net

No comments