Breaking News

Noel Gallagher On TalkSport




















Noel appeared on TalkSport again on Sunday 9 May with Andy Goldstein and Ray Parlour.

Amongst other things he spoke about why he has not written an autobiography, his thoughts on Man City not reaching the Champions League place and his plans for the coming week. Some extracts from his appearance:

Andy Goldstein: How are you?

Noel: “Bloody awesome.”

Andy Goldstein: Why are you bloody awesome? You’ve had a terrible week!

Noel: “I have had a terrible week, but I’m trying to raise my spirits.” “Well, Chelsea won the league, you know, that’s enough.”

Andy Goldstein: What, United didn’t, so happy days?

Noel: “Happy days, indeed, yeah.”

Ray Parlour: Were you at the game today?

Noel: “You know what? After Wednesday I literally couldn’t raise my spirits to go, it was just a glorified kickabout today so I was like, no, I can’t be bothered.”

Andy Goldstein: Have you ever thought about writing an autobiography?

Noel: “It’s been offered to me a couple of times but I’m too young, I think.”

Andy Goldstein: How old are you?

Noel: “17. No, I’m actually 43 in a couple of weeks. We’re going to New York City.”

Ray Parlour: Some footballers have done two or three books by the time they are 21.

Noel: “No, it’s not for me. I’d either have to write it myself, and I just can’t be bothered with all that...”

Andy Goldstein: Can you remember most of it, or are the early days a bit of a blur? Excuse the pun.

Noel: “Well... yeah, if I’m pushed I could remember it all, I’d have to, I don’t think I could sit down at a typewriter and actually write it, I could probably do it if a ghost writer done it, but it’s not me, it’s not me.”

Andy Goldstein: I could probably do it for you, Noel!

Noel: “Yeah, you probably could... but you won’t.”

Andy Goldstein: Apart from going to Eastlands on Wednesday and ruining your entire week, what else have you done?

Noel: “I got the suits. In fact Jamie Redknapp gave me the heads up on some very fine suits down at Savile Row, so I got kitted out.”

Andy Goldstein: Did he charge you?

Noel: “Of course he charged me! They put an extra few bob on when I come in!” “I don’t do the freebie gear, anyway, I’d rather pay.”

Andy Goldstein: Trainers? I’m sure Adidas sort you out with free pairs.

Noel: “Eh.... yeah well, actually one of my best mates is one of the head honchos at Adidas and he does, but again, if you’re asking for stuff you get it in about four weeks so I’d rather just go round the shop and buy it.”

Andy Goldstein: Do they not just say, “Turn up at the Adidas factory and then you can walk around and help yourself?

Noel: “Yeah, but then you just end up with tons and tons of boxes in the house and again, it’s just like my gaffs not that big in London, you know what I mean?”

Andy Goldstein: Give them away to your radio pals!

Noel: “You wouldn’t be my size, I’ve got very small feet, I’ve got girls feet!” “Not baby girls feet, cos that would be really, really creepy, but I’d say I’ve got big girls feet. I’m a six and a half.”

Football/Man City

Andy Goldstein: Looking back at the season, happy with it?

Noel: “I’d have been happy with it at the start but, eh, I think overall yeah, I think we’ve come a long way from tenth and the manager was ejected half way through the season, I think we’ve done alright. I’ve got no complaints about Wednesday... I thought Tottenham were the better team and overall during the season, particularly in the run-in, the last six games, they kind of beat Chelsea, Arsenal and City so fair play to them.”

Ray Parlour: Are you happy Mancini is going to stay?

Noel: “Yeah, yeah, the noises coming out of there are that he’s gonna stay, that’s fine with me, I guess they’ve got to give him a chance to build a team. He’s not really got that big a job to do, I mean all he’s got to do is fine tune it a little bit, but I’m happy with him.”

Ray Parlour: Adam Johnson is different class at the moment, isn’t he?

Noel: “I’ll tell you what I like about him – he’s come out of the Championship, he’s played every single game since he got there, he doesn’t seem overawed by it at all and he’s been really consistent. Apart from the fact that when he’s up against the big teams, like when he’s up against Evra or the Arsenal players, you know, he kinda didn’t make an impact on the match, but other than that he’s been really, really consistent this season, which you know, that’s the sign of a good player, I think.”

Andy Goldstein: Do you think not getting fourth place has hindered your chances of getting the kind of players you would have expected to see at Eastlands, or do you think it makes no difference as you’ll definitely be playing Champions League football soon?

Noel: “Well yeah, obviously we’ve not got it this year, if we don’t get it next year it’ll definitely be the year after, but I mean, how many... there’s a dozen top, top players in the world and they can’t all play for your club, so we’ve got Tevez and we’ve got Shay Given and we’ve got, we’ve got some good players, but I think we’ll get... I think all we’ve got to get is a couple, we need a wizard in the middle of the park, and we need a centre-half and a left-back and I think we’ll be alright.”

Andy Goldstein: With the World Cup I’d expect to see quite a few names going to Man City.

Noel: “I’d expect to see quite a few going, as well, though. I don’t think we’ll buy.. I don’t think there will be the outlays that Mark Hughes had, like eight or nine players, I think probably three or four would be the maximum, I think.”

Ray Parlour: People like Stephen Ireland, Shaun Wright-Phillips, maybe?

Noel: “No, I think it’ll be more like the kind of fringe players, they’d be mad to let Stephen Ireland or Shaun Wright-Phillips go, not only because we’d be weakening our team but we’d be strengthening teams like Tottenham and the others, do you know what I mean?” “Those are the kind of players that kind of make your squad immense, do you know what I mean?, if you’ve got players like that on the bench, and I’m not suggesting they’ll be on the bench, but you know, I wouldn’t sell Shaun to Everton or Villa or Tottenham because you’re just strengthening them and you’re kind of weakening yourself at the same time.”

Andy Goldstein: Do you think Man City will buy players like your very good pal, Del Piero?

Noel: “No.”

Andy Goldstein: I saw your interview on Football Focus, I didn’t know you were best mates with Del Piero.

Noel: “Yeah, he’s a friend of mine, he’s been a mate of mine for... five or six years now.” “He’s an Oasis fan and he used to come to the gigs in Italy and I em... oh, it was years ago and I was doing some Italian TV show and he was out of contract at the time and I kinda said- jokingly, that I would personally pay him £150,000 a week if he came to City and eh, his agent took it really seriously! He turned up at the gig and said, “So about this move, then.”, and I was like, “What are you talking about?”, and he was like, “Can you get me the gig at City?”, and I was, “No no, I don’t own the club!” But we’ve been mates ever since, he’s actually introduced us a few times onstage and he took us to the World Cup and all that, he’s a top, top dude.”

Andy Goldstein: Are you ever star struck or in awe when you meet these footballing heroes, or anyone for that matter?

Noel: “Em....no.. no, I don’t think I’ve ever been star struck.... I met Neil Young once and I was kinda blown away by that and McCartney, but not footballers, no offense, Ray. They’re kinda working-class heroes, aren’t they?, but they’re just the same as me.”

Andy Goldstein: Who is the biggest name on Noel Gallagher’s mobile phone? Can you top Demi Moore, who is on mine?

Noel: “Oh, can I top Demi Moore? How about.... I’ve got Bono’s number. He’s a mate of mine, he’s a top dude.”

Andy Goldstein: What have you got planned for the week?

Noel: “Right, I always remember at about quarter to ten, “I should have said that!”, what am I doing this week? I’m doing... I’ve got to do something for the Back The Bid campaign for the World Cup thing, I dono what it is, it’s some kind of interview and I’ve got a wedding next Saturday.”

Thanks as always to Dougie

No comments