Breaking News

More On Rhys Ifans For Creation Records Film Role




















The man credited with discovering Oasis has revealed he wants Rhys Ifans to play him in a movie about the story of Creation Records.

It’s an apt choice for Creation Records supremo Alan McGee, who has settled in Hay-On-Wye. Not only is the Welsh Notting Hill star a friend, but he once fronted an incarnation of Super Furry Animals before they signed to McGee’s seminal label.

And in the video for the Oasis hit The Importance of Being Idle, Ifans played the part of a high-kicking funeral director.

Opening up on possible movie projects in the pipeline, McGee told Wales on Sunday: “There are two ideas – a druggie one and one that’s more serious. Me, Tim Abbot of Creation Records and Rhys would all love to be in a movie about Creation.

“Creation is something that I’ve had nothing but success with, so I know a movie about it would work. Rhys spends most of the time in Spain now [where he has a farm in Majorca]. He is a genius and he is my friend and I would love him to play me in the Creation story which would cover all the emotions.”

He added: “We would all like to work together to cultivate the idea and my character but I’m not going to reveal too much about it just yet.

“The other movie idea would combine Creation and me as a maverick music guy with the stories of Malcolm McLaren (late Sex Pistols manager) and Tony Wilson (the Factory Records and Happy Mondays manager).”

McGee famously co-founded the Creation Records label in 1983, which was home to such ’80s and ’90s luminaries as The Jesus and Mary Chain, Primal Scream, Teenage Fanclub, Super Furry Animals, My Bloody Valentine, The House of Love and – most famously – Oasis.

McGee is already the main subject of Upside Down:The Creation Records Story, a new documentary expected to be available as a DVD and to be broadcast on TV screens from April. The film, named after the Mary Chain’s 1984 debut single, features interviews with JAMC’s Jim Reid, Bobbie Gillespie of Primal Scream and Oasis’s Noel Gallagher.

McGee said: “Danny O’Conner who directs Upside Down is a genius and he managed to get just about everybody involved in it to take part. But Liam Gallagher didn’t go in it because Danny was scared that if they both appeared it would turn into the Oasis Show, and Noel thought that too.”

Meanwhile, McGee said he was getting used to the peace of the Mid Wales countryside – as well as its flip side.

“I moved to Wales for the quiet life and I should be getting a bus pass!

“But I love it here even more than Scotland; the people here are the sweetest I’ve ever met. As a result of Upside Down I’m going to be attending about every film festival going this year.

“But I like nothing better than DJ-ing at a pub in Mountain Ash, with 300 people singing songs by Oasis and the Beatles’ All You Need Is Love for hours on end.”

Source: www.walesonline.co.uk

2 comments

silvy said...

he's got nothing to do with McGee, totally different persons

Vale said...

I think the reason why Liam didn't appear is because he doesn't seem to get on well with McGee...