Breaking News

Liam Gallagher On Beady Eye, Oasis And Brother Noel













Liam Gallagher didn't waste any time starting a new band when Oasis called it quits after one last brawl with his brother Noel backstage in Paris in 2009. "It took about four beers," he says, confidence unscathed. Beady Eye (which also includes Oasis guitarists Andy Bell and Gem Archer and drummer Chris Sharrock) released its first album, "Different Gear, Still Speeding," earlier this year. The group plays Friday at the Regency Ballroom.

Q: You're playing clubs again. Is it hard going back after you performed in every major arena in the world with Oasis?

A: Not at all. I would much rather be in Oasis, but that wasn't to be. I'm not going to stop making music just because Noel isn't going to be in a band with me. I've already been in one of the biggest bands in the world. Some of the times are good and some are s-. It's all about being happy, and I'm having a good time right now being in Beady Eye.

Q: How is the new stuff going over live? "Bring the Light" must sound like the apocalypse.

A: It's like the Pistols with a piano.

Q: You're not playing any Oasis songs. Isn't it a bit like Paul McCartney going out and just playing "Pipes of Peace"?

A: I could if I wanted to play it, but we started out this band saying we're not going to play those songs. We're going to stick with it. It's a lot more than can be said by Noel Gallagher. He'll never know if people are coming to hear him or Oasis. We're getting people who want to see Beady Eye. That, to me, is success.

Q: Do you regret that you and Noel can't work things out?

A: No, I don't want to work anything out. He took the ball and left. The reason we split up is I'm not on his payroll. He could sack everyone else in the band, but he couldn't do that with me. I told him how f- it was and the only way for him to go was leaving the band. So he left. I don't miss being in a band with Noel. I actually like who I am and what I stand for. He's a bit of a social chameleon. He wouldn't look out of place in Coldplay's band.

Q: What are your ambitions this time around? Do you want Beady Eye to play Knebworth in five years?

A: I want to make Beady Eye as big as possible. I want to turn on kids in Uruguay, L.A. and Manchester. I'm not taking my foot off the gas. {sbox}

Beady Eye: 9 p.m. Fri. $40-$50. The Regency Ballroom 1290 Sutter St., S.F. (415) 673-5716. www.theregencyballroom.com.

Source: www.sfgate.com

No comments